Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Musings on language...

I know I am not the first person to comment on this but, please people! Start saying "you're welcome" again! As most of you know, I am a language teacher (Spanish) as well as an erstwhile writer so you will understand my annoyance and some obsession. It drives me nuts that the response to "thank you" these days is nearly always, "No problem". It would seem that saying "thank you" to someone presupposes that the person being thanked is somehow "put out" or bothered by providing the thanker with whatever item or service and requires an implied apology. Not true! Saying "you're welcome" is a gracious way of acknowledging the person's thanks while at the same time expressing that it is a pleasure to provide said item or service.
Also, note to all you 30 and unders... Lose the word "suck". It is tired, overused, coarse and unbecoming. As to an alternative... well, be creative but civil.
So, I am henceforth smugly and pretentiously calling myself "Mr. Grammar Guy". Why? Because Dave Barry already uses "Mr. Language Person".

1 comment:

Carlie said...

I myself have mostly cut suck out of my language because I would get in trouble if I used it in front of you! I do know of another one you dislike- "pissed". Yikes, it even looks bad in print!
You're welcome for my comment.