Sunday, May 25, 2008

Indy for a day



Anyone who knows me knows that I am an incurable ham (although I have heard of cured hams!). And my children will remember many Halloweens that I dressed in costume to take them trick-or-treating or to go to a Halloween party. I just find it fun.

So yesterday, in keeping with a sort of personal tradition Pat and I have, we met to see a movie on Grading Day after we finished our school stuff. And the movie was, of course, the new "Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". So, I naturally decided to dress as Indiana Jones to attend the movie. To Pat's credit, she walked next to me the whole time. What a good sport.

Since I was running a little late and we wanted to get good seats, Pat went ahead to the theater and bought the tickets. She gave mine to Scott who was working at Dillard's and got in line. While she was waiting, Pat struck up a conversation with some folks. They asked if she thought I was going to be able to find her in line. She replied, "Don't worry. You'll know who he is. He's dressed like Indiana Jones"! I came along later to pick up my ticket (and embarrass Scott in front of his co-workers) and walked through the food court to the theater. I got lots of smiles and comments (and some parents pointing me out to their little kids). I had not shaved since the previous Sunday to help complete the image and of course ran into our stake president and his wife! He was not surprised in the least to see me like that. He knows me pretty well!

We saw the film and enjoyed it. It is a little short on plot but the special effects , fight scenes, car chases and explosions pretty much made up for it for us. After the movie, I was in the hallway waiting for Pat come out of the restroom when I noticed a young family standing nearby with a couple of boys that had just seen the movie too. The five year old was looking over at me and whispering to his mom. She was saying, "It's OK. Go ahead!" So he came up to me and timidly reached out his hand for me to shake. It was sweet and made my day.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Love it, what a great story! We always knew you were a movie star, not much difference between you and Harrison! (Maybe the earring.)

And yes, I can attest to many a Halloween spent going to parties and trick-or-treating with my dad dressed up like any number of characters: Beetlejuice, Superman, Dracula to name a few. I didn't really understand how uncommon this was until I got older, I thought everyone's parents dressed up for Halloween (Mom dressed up a few times too!). And now with my own kids, I haven't really made the effort to dress up with them for Halloween. What a party-pooper!

Carlie said...

it's true bean, you are a party pooper!
dad, you looked fab, although i would have loved to see mom dress up as elsa. hot mama! i myself can't wait to see the new movie. it's on our list for summer movies. our list is getting quite long- it looks like we need to see a movie every week!

Franklin Family said...

I LOVE it! First, I love the fact that Pat was willing to be seen with you. Second, I love the tradition of going to see a movie on grading day - what a sweet idea. Thanks for sharing!