Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Books, books, and more books!

Mark you calendars... Mom is blogging!

I read 3 books on the road trip to California this weekend and no they weren't picture books! I finished The Gift by Richard Paul Evans just before Casa Grande. I had started it while still at home. I was bawling like a baby at the end! It also had a great quote that made me laugh out loud and I had to read it to Dave. Einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result! I'm sure he was thinking about the laws of physics and such and how they don't change. But in the book, it was about the relationship with the character's mother and no matter how much he tried, he was never going to change her! Reminded me of a certain person I work with!

I then started A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks and finished it in bed that night! It was good and I didn't figure it out until the very end. I should have seen it coming though... Always great love stories!

On the way home I read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I had read A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author last summer. They were both very riveting and dark yet informative. Neither one of them had a 'happily ever after' ending. I suppose since they are both set in Afghanistan, that whole country still does not have a happily ever after ending yet. There is resolution but maybe it is just resignation to the circumstances that exist as the story ends. The writer is very clever with his humorous side stories.

The week before that I read 3 more books! It is my escape from the stress of work! Now I have 3 more books to return and check out some new ones! Any good suggestions??? I will pretty much read anything! Scott just gave me Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut. Isn't that a song by Harry Chapin???

4 comments:

Carlie said...

i just finished reading 'fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe' it's good mom, real good.

read that skeletons on the sahara book i left you too- there's nothing like a really-happend-in-real-life story.

Carlie said...

i guess that would be called non-fiction.

Pat and Dave said...

I haven't seen the book around here???

I'll check out Fried Green Tomatoes.

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

Hi Mom B! I recommend:

The Princess Bride ( this is my all time fav)

Don Quixote (REally long, but hysterical)

Pride and Prejudice
(Ahh...Jane Austen....)

And, the Giver (YA fiction)

great post!!!
brandi brewer johnson