Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My Guilty Secret

I feel that I must confess something I did last weekend for the first time. I am not proud of it. But confession is a cleansing activity and is the first step to course corrections and efforts to change and improve. It was something I have for many years warned my children not to get involved in. I was talked into it by others (including peers) and I was , well, weak and gave in. Worst of all, I dragged Pat into it.

"It" is... Guitar Hero. While we attended Cort Nielsen's wedding reception Saturday night we ran into Deniese Beam. The kids from our church youth group had been to her house a few times and played. Our Rachel loves the game and talked Pat and me into going to Beam's house to try it out. It is SO FUN! For you uninitiated, it is a video game where you have a miniature plastic guitar with 4 or five colored buttons on the "fretboard" and a toggle-like deal where you "strum". As the colored notes come down the fretboard on the video screen, you have to press the right button and "strum" at the same time. The more notes you hit properly, the more points you accumulate. Pat did very well and I did pretty well too although being a real-life guitar player is no real advantage.

There, I did it. I confessed to a newly-acquired vice. We are seriously considering buying a Wii system when its GH version comes out. And I have always been the one to decry video games as a monumental waste of time. Maybe that was because one had not come out yet that I really liked and could get REALLY good at! Who knows but I do feel better getting this off my chest. Time, prepare to be wasted! Just so you know,I am looking for a good 12 step program. -Dave

9 comments:

Tina said...

Wow Dad, you scared me with that first paragraph! So glad to hear that you guys had so much fun together, even if it was playing video games! Not fair if you get a Wii after we have moved hundreds of miles away!

Pat and Dave said...

Tina, all the more reason to visit! It also has other 'sports' games like bowling, tennis, and baseball. I could exercise while sitting on the couch! Yes, we were enamored by it and even said we would need a bigger TV! Oh how deceitful Satan is: a little here, a little there! Mom

wendy said...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/130872/wii_workout_how_philadelphias_mickey.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/18/wii-sports-experiment-sheds-nine-pounds/

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116441076273232312-3nPirhZn20_L2P7m_ROtFUkh6yA_20071124.html

the proof is in the press, my dears.

also, i love wii.

Carlie said...

i played the wii last night with my nephew blake as my host. the best part was creating your own "mii". you choose all the facial characteristics and your name, then you can use your mii to play the games. The mii looks like those "little people" we used to play with- no arms or legs, much like a bowling pin. but when you play the baseball game, all the saved mii's play- fielding and batting. we had a great time, but had to cut it short when I saw Ellena smearing poop from her diaper across the carpet.

Sarah said...

Hello Bertoglio family! Sorry to but in on your family discussion but, we have a wii and it is some much fun!! I highly recommend it! Now I am even mre excited for the Guitar Hero game! When does it come out?

Pat and Dave said...

We heard October 23rd it is coming out.

Carlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carlie said...

actually it's the 28th

Sarah said...

OH! I can't wait!